Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Field of Dreams...and a fresh start

On our anniversary trip, my husband and I passed these gorgeous fields of sunflowers that stretched as far as we could see. They felt very symbolic - flowers that give not only beauty, but function as well, and I felt compelled to stop and take some pictures. They may be my new favorite flower. 
I'm posting two pictures of the reed glass I used to replace our quail cupboard. I didn't have time to style the cupboard properly (as I was supposed to be packing for our trip, not making major kitchen changes), so I'm disappointed in how these pictures turned out, but in any event, it's a vast improvement over that dark corner that the stained glass created. The kitchen is starting to become a brighter space, and that's what I'm working toward.

I am so very grateful for our local hardware store, who very patiently listened when I brought back the acid-washed glass I tried first. The acid wash had several small flaws in it that really stuck out in that corner, and I just wasn't happy with it. So they worked with me and I traded out the acid wash for something called "reed glass," which is created by raking through the hot glass. It gives a bit of an optic effect which I haven't decided if I like, but I KNOW I like it better than that poor brown quail. If any of you have ideas for what should go in the cupboard, let me know. I think it has to be white or a color because clear glass doesn't show at all.

If you look below the cupboard, you'll notice a glass mosaic backsplash - I'm quite proud of that as I did it myself in early July using something called Bondera from Lowe's. It was almost too easy and I worried for a while that the whole thing would fall off. But those tiles are clearly on there for the long haul, and I didn't even have to tear off the laminate.

If I can take time before we start our return trip, I'll post as much as I can of the process (I did this before I knew to take "before, during, and after" pictures). But for those of you living with a dated kitchen like mine, a new backsplash really does make a difference, and mine cost under $200. If I'd used subway tiles instead of glass mosaic, it would have cost less than $100. So it's something to think about adding to a project list.

2 comments:

  1. Karen the glass looks great. Yes, better than the quail!! Maybe a nice color glass vase or some white jugs of varying sizes. I love the splashback, you have done a great job. I have just posted pics of the bookshelf redesigned, but will soon be painting it.I think the area will lighten up a lot, and maybe modernise it. Looks a bit 70's to me! Bad photos I know, but hopefully you get the idea. Thank you for the idea to put color together, as I think its made a big difference. Have a great weekend.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments Karen, and defending my carpet! I have just taken down the old light shade, and put in a lighter one, its brighter already. I agree, I wont be leaving the cushion on the chair, I have a white one lined up with Letitia at The White Shed when her new stock comes in. The bedroom will be a work in progress - a big job (waiting for the repaired cracks to fully dry - 2 more months!).
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete